Dec 4, 2010

The Girl- Thinking Like a Kid/Adult

When you're a child, everything is believable and possible. As an adult... less so. Take the picture above.
It's a giraffe. Riding a bike.
Now granted, this giraffe looks very happy, positively giddy as he (I assume it's a 'he' by default because there are no stereotypical lips or big eyelashes that clue in if a cartoon is female)

Why is this giraffe riding his bike off-road? And uphill? Is his giraffe school in the mountains? I think I saw on the Discovery Channel (because I'm intellectually hip like that) that giraffes can run really fast. I would hope so, their legs are freakishly long.

Then my twisted mind started pondering things that never occur to your average child under 10.
How is the giraffe holding the handlebars with his hooves?
How did he even put his helmet on/close-open his backpack?
I realize how useless hooves would be if you were trying to function in a world built for people with you know... fingers.

I also wondered about his little giraffe pleasure bits and if they were smushed on the bike seat. Biking always hurts my bum and I don't even have a stick and berries to worry about.

All in all I've come to realize that I miss the childish mindset where you absorb/not notice things like I have just wasted time wondering. Children never worry about why the giraffe is riding a bike. I bet kids think anything with legs can ride a bike.

What a refreshing way to view the world, as a naive imaginative kid drawing circus animals off-roading with backpacks.

At least the animals are safety conscious. Note the helmet.

1 comment:

  1. PS- It's also nice that this kid's name is "Tom" a quite, quite normal name. It's not some odd semi-celebrity food item name that no one thinks is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete